Our Mission & Vision
The mission of First Presbyterian Church of Davenport, Iowa, is to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth. Our vision is to be a beacon of worship, affirmation, learning and spiritual growth.
Our Mission Means We
- Reach out to those not presently part of a Christian community
- Promote peace, justice and human dignity
- Offer ourselves in faithful and loving service to God and to all people
- Deepen our faith and discipleship through worship, study, prayer, stewardship, service and all means of grace.
Our Vision is to Be a Beacon
- Worshipping God through the power of the Holy Spirit, the Word made flesh in Jesus Christ, the sacraments, prayer, and joyful song
- Affirming an inclusive faith community rooted in our Presbyterian beliefs and biblical understanding
- Learning and growing spiritually in life-long discipleship
- Serving one another, the community and the world with imagination, enthusiasm and love.
Where Presbyterians Fit into the Protestant Tradition
Part of the Historic Reformed tradition
Active Participation in Ministry and Worship
Thoughtful reading and interpretation of scriptures and prayer are the essentials of worship. The liturgy is designed to include the entire congregation in worship — just as ministry includes all members.
A very important principle is that
“God alone is Lord of the conscience.”